Bracknell Forest has joined with our unitary partners to form a combined adoption service called Adopt Berkshire, which replaces our previous adoption service.
By joining forces in this way, we're able to offer better training and a better matching and placement process, staffed by dedicated professionals. This change helps us to focus on the needs of our children that require placement, as well as the needs of our adopters.
Adopt Berkshire's goal is to maximise the amount of adopters available to cover the whole range of children who are in need of permanent adoptive families.
Adopt Berkshire covers all aspects of adoption work up to the point of the child's legal adoption. After this, responsibility for support services then returns to the relevant local authority.
Adopt Berkshire is here to:
- provide high quality adoption services for children
- find children suitable potential adopters
- assess relatives (sometimes referred to as step-parent adoption), friends and foster carers who would like to be considered as a potential adopter for a certain child
- support waiting adopters in the placement of a child
- support adopters after the placement of a child/children and work to maximise the long-term success of the placement
Who can adopt?
While we are not always able to accept applications we will give careful consideration to the qualities and experiences being offered by all of the potential adoptive applicants. We welcome applications from:
- single applicants and couples of all ages
- childless applicants and those who already have a child or children
- applicants from different cultural and religious backgrounds
- applicants who are heterosexual, gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered
Once approved, adopters take on all the responsibilities and duties of parents. This is finalised through the court.
Children looking for adoption
Many of the children who are looking for families are of pre-school age. In some cases they will need to be placed along with a sibling. Some of the children are from ethnic minority groups.
Getting in touch
To find out more about the adoption process and the needs of children waiting to be adopted, please attend an information morning, or evening, from our scheduled sessions (PDF, 24kb).
Further useful documents
- Adopt Berkshire statement of purpose 2015 to 2016 (PDF, 482kb)
- Adoption agency annual report 2015 to 2016 (PDF, 1294kb)
- BAAS annual report 2015 to 2016 (PDF, 415kb)
- BFC adoption service annual report 2015 to 2016 (PDF, 98kb)