Birth - certificate amendments

If you discover an error on a birth certificate, it should be possible to formally correct this.

If you wish to change the first name of your child, you can do so within 12 months of registering the birth. This change can only be made once and only to first names. If you wish to make a change more than 12 months from the date of registration a change of name is required. You can learn about changing a name on GOV.UK.

What do I need?

The registrar will require evidence of the correct details before a correction can be made. If you need to make a correction, please contact the Register Office for advice on the documents required.

If the incorrect person is named as the child’s father, the correction can only be made following DNA testing and approval from the General Register Office.

Opening times

The Register Office is open Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm (excluding Bank Holidays).

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.