Change of name

You don't have to follow a legal procedure if you want to change your name, you can simply start using a new name.

If you wish to provide evidence of your name change for legal purposes, then you can change your name by deed poll.

What is a change of name deed document?

A change of name deed document is a formal statement that enables you to prove to official organisations that you have changed your name. It also provides you with the required documentary evidence of your new name.

Services we provide

It is possible to apply for a change of surname or first name.

The following restrictions apply if you want to change your child's surname if they are under 18, or change your child's first name if they are aged 1 or over:

  • if both parents are married to each other you may change the surname of your child if you both agree to the name change
  • if the parents are divorced, both parents must give their consent to the change
  • if the child's birth was registered after 1 December 2003 and the parents have never been married both parents must give their consent to the change if both parents are shown on the birth entry
  • if the child's birth was registered before 1 December 2003 and the parents have never been married, and if there is no parental responsibility order or agreement in place, the mother may change the child's name
  • children aged 16 or 17 must sign a consent form
  • if there has been a court injunction involving a child's name change then you should ask the solicitors involved in the injunction to change the child's name
  • if the required consent cannot be obtained, we advise you to consult a solicitor as we would not be able to assist with a change of name deed

For peace of mind, we offer a copy and archive service. Therefore, if you ever lose or misplace your change of name deed, you can obtain a legal copy from us.

Who is eligible?

A change of name deed can be carried out by any British citizen aged 16 years or over living anywhere in the world or by anyone, of any nationality, living in the United Kingdom (parents can apply on behalf of their children who are under 16 years of age).

If you are a foreign national living in the UK, you should check with your country's embassy in London to see if a change of name deed issued by us will be accepted by them to get your passport changed to your new name. Countries that have a legal system based on the British legal system will usually accept a change of name deed issued by us.

How to apply to change a name

The change of name deed service operates on an appointment only basis.

To book an appointment, please contact customer services on 01344 352000, between 8:30am and 4:45pm.

Your appointment booking can be made by credit or debit card and must be paid in full at the time of booking

Please see our PDF file downloadcancellation and amendment fee terms and conditions (PDF, 97kb)

What do I need?

You will need to bring various original documents, which may include your:

  • birth certificate
  • passport
  • marriage certificate
  • decree absolute
  • late spouse's death certificate.

We will advise which documentation we need to see when you book your appointment.


Fees, including a completed change of name deed:

  • Adult – £46
  • Child (under 18) - £51.50
  • Family appointment (2 adults, 2 children) - £146.50

Extra original copies of the deeds:

  • at the time of issue - £8
  • at a later date - £15

How to find us

Our appointments are held at Time Square, unless otherwise stated upon booking.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.