Housing benefit - civil penalties

Civil penalties are imposed on households that do not, without reasonable excuse, tell us when their circumstances change, resulting in an overpayment.

Any overpayment of £250 or more, where the entire overpayment period occurred after 18 October 2012, may be subject to a £50 civil penalty.

There are a variety of different scenarios where a civil penalty can be imposed. The sort of changes that claimants should inform the council about are:

  • failure to correctly declare circumstances on a new application
  • changes in income and entitlement to state benefits
  • an increase in capital
  • changes where a young person or child ceases to be a member of the household
  • changes in rent charged
  • changes affecting the residence or income of any non-dependent
  • absences exceeding or likely to exceed 13 weeks
  • changes affecting any child living with the claimant (eg if child benefit ends)
More information is available in the PDF file downloadcivil penalties guide (PDF, 19kb).

Recovery of a civil penalty

If you have had a civil penalty imposed on you, this will be recovered by:

  • reducing any ongoing entitlement to housing benefit
  • deductions from ongoing benefits
  • the direct earnings attachment provisions in the Welfare Reform Act 2012
  • going through the courts

If you disagree with the decision to impose a civil penalty

If you disagree with the decision to impose a civil penalty on you, you can ask for:

  • an explanation of the decision
  • a reconsideration of the decision

You can also appeal against the decision which must be received within one calendar month from the date the civil penalty was imposed.

You must appeal by:

  • emailing benefits@bracknell-forest.gov.uk
  • writing to: Benefits Service, Bracknell Forest Council, Time Square, Market Street, PO Box 3781, Bracknell, RG12 1HJ

In asking for a reconsideration or appealing, you will need to state and provide evidence, for why you feel the decision is wrong.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.