Club premises certificates

EUGO logo

To authorise the supply of alcohol and regulated entertainment in a qualifying club you need a club premises certificate from your local authority.

Members own part of the alcohol stock. Therefore there is technically no sale by retail of alcohol (except to guests). Money passing across the bar is merely a mechanism to preserve equity between members where one may consume more than another.

How to apply

Please use these links to apply:


The fees will depend on the information you put in your application.

Eligibility criteria

A club can apply for a club premises certificate for any premises which are occupied and used regularly for club purposes.

A qualifying club has general conditions it must satisfy. These are that:

  • a person may not be given membership or access to any membership privileges without an interval of at least two days from their membership application or nomination and their membership being granted
  • club rules state that those becoming members without nomination or application cannot have membership privileges for at least two days between them becoming members and being admitted to the club
  • the club is established and conducted in good faith
  • the club has at least 25 members
  • alcohol is only supplied to members on the premises on behalf or by the club
  • additional conditions in relation to the supply of alcohol must be complied with - these conditions are that:
    • alcohol purchased for and supplied by the club is done by members of the club who are over 18 years of age and are elected to do so by the members
    • no person at the expense of the club receives any commission, percentage or other similar payment in regard to the purchase of alcohol by the club
    • there are no arrangements for anyone to receive a financial benefit from supplying alcohol, apart from any benefit to the club or to any person indirectly from the supply giving a gain from running the club

What the law says

A summary of the law for this licence

The Licensing Act 2003 (Premises licences and club premises certificates) Regulations 2005

Application process

Make your application to the local authority where the premises are situated. You should submit your application with:

  • a plan of the premises, which must be in a specific format
  • a copy of the rules of the club
  • a club operating schedule to detail such matters as:
    • activities
    • times
    • steps the club proposes to take to promote the licensing objectives

Consultation with specified responsible authorities is part of the application process for a new certificate. If you apply online, we will consult the responsible authorities on your behalf. If you send us your application by post, you will need to copy your application to them. Contact details for these bodies are in the applicant guidance.

A club may also apply to a local licensing authority to vary a certificate. The certificate should be sent with the application.

How long will it take you to process my application?

Once the application is validated as complete, responsible authorities and interested parties have a period of 28 days within which they may make representations about the application.

If we don't receive any representations, we aim to process your application within 10 days of the closing date.

If we do receive representation, we will hold a hearing to determine the application within 28 days of the closing date.

How to appeal

Please contact us. Any applicant who is refused the grant or variation of a certificate or wants to object to a condition on the certificate can appeal to their local magistrates' court within 21 days of receiving notice of the decision.

Complaints about club premises

If you wish to complain that a club premises is causing a nuisance such as noise, or if you believe that there has been a breach of licence conditions, please contact us. If you are in the UK, you can also contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service who will give you advice. From outside the UK please contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.