The council has appointed members as community champions to support the needs of the following groups:
- Corporate Business Champion
- Small Businesses
- The Voluntary Sector
Community champions provide a positive focus for the group that they represent and ensure that full consideration is given to these groups in the decisions made by the council.
Who are the Community Champions?
- Commuters’ champion – Councillor Harrison
- Corporate Business Champion - Councillor Heydon
- Pensioners’ champion – Councillor Thompson
- Small Business champion – Councillor Wade
- Voluntary sector champion – Councillor Finnie
What do Community Champions Do?
Community champions carry out a number of tasks and activities in relation to their area including:
- Liaising with local organisations concerned with the community to establish effective and regular consultation arrangements
- Acting as an advocate on behalf of the community represented
- Representing the views of the communities to the council, executive, overview and scrutiny and other committees and to council officers
- Becoming familiar with the needs and priorities of the community or the range of activities concerned and to weigh up interests expressed in order to provide sound advice on the implications of alternative courses of action
- Feeding back decisions of the borough council and explaining the council’s position on specific issues of concern to representative organisations and to individuals involved
- Publishing an annual report on work carried out each year for consideration by the council