Contributions to care costs

The council is entitled to ask for contributions to any support given to people. Our PDF file downloadcharging policy (PDF, 111kb) ensures that we undertake a fair assessment of how much you will need to contribute to costs.

Free services

Some of our services do not require you to make a contribution. These are:

  • assessment, support planning, care management and intermediate care
  • community equipment services costing less than £1,000, as defined in the Community Care (Delayed Discharges etc.) Act 2003
  • services for children except where the child has, in his or her own right, substantial income or substantial capital which generates income

Rate of contributions

The scale of contributions you will be asked to pay is determined by your finances, meaning you will never have to pay more than you can afford. The way we calculate your contributions is as follows:

  • if you have more than £23,250 savings or capital (excluding the value of your main home) you will be asked to contribute the total cost of your support
  • if you have less than £23,250 savings or capital the council will need to financially assess you to work out how much, if anything, you should contribute towards your support. You will pay the ‘assessed contribution’, or the cost of your support, whichever is lower. This will be the maximum you are assessed as being able to contribute
If you don't want to tell the council about your finances, you can opt to pay the full cost of your support.

Our document PDF file downloadPaying for care in Bracknell Forest (PDF, 269kb) tells you more about how the assessed contribution is calculated.


The council is committed to ensuring it uses a consistent and fair method of asking people to contribute to their care and support costs. However if you are not happy with a decision made in regards to your contributions, you can contact the Financial Assessment team to ask them to check the details you have been given.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.