Councillors - allowances

Councillors are entitled to claim a range of allowances for carrying out their council duties.

All allowances are subject to National Insurance and Income Tax deductions where appropriate.

What can councillors claim for?

All councillors receive a basic allowance.

Where a councillor has a role with extra responsibility they may also receive a special responsibility allowance. The rate of the allowance is dependent on the level of responsibility for which it is paid.

Travel and subsistence allowances can be claimed where expenditure is incurred outside of the borough. Actual cost of standard rail fares, taxi and bus fares and other direct costs can be claimed and must be supported by receipts. The rates of these allowances are the same as those paid to council officers.

Dependents’ carers’ allowance can be claimed when expenditure is necessarily and exclusively incurred in arranging care of children or dependents when undertaking approved duties.

The latest allowances scheme can be found in Part 6 of the council’s constitution.

Amounts paid

The members allowances are published annually:

When looking at the summary please note that:

  • the travel category includes all costs associated with travel such as parking, public transports fares, taxi fares and congestion charge as appropriate
  • the subsistence category includes accommodation charges, food and drink

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.