Death - registering
All deaths must be registered within 5 days. This period can be extended under certain circumstances.
Registration services we provide
We register deaths that occur in the Bracknell Forest district.
In certain circumstances, a death will have to be referred to a coroner which may delay the registration.
Who can register a death?
One of the following people may register a death (in order of preference):
- a relative of the deceased
- a person present at the death
- the occupier of the house or residential home where the death occurred (if there is no known relative who is able to register)
- the person who is arranging the funeral
What do I need?
You will need to provide the following:
- medical certificate of cause of death from the doctor, if a coroner is not involved
- date and place of death
- full name of the deceased (and maiden surname if appropriate)
- date and place of birth of the deceased (a birth certificate would be helpful)
- deceased’s occupation, and the full name and occupation of their spouse (a marriage certificate would be helpful)
- deceased’s usual home address
- whether the deceased was in receipt of a pension from public funds
- date of birth of the deceased’s spouse, if alive
- NHS medical card number for the deceased (however, please do not delay registration if this is not available)
The registrar will ask you some questions to obtain the above information, and will print out a copy of the entry for you to check. Once the page is signed the registrar will issue the necessary paperwork.
What happens next?
You will receive:
- a green form (Form 9), which is to be given to the funeral director
- a white form (Form 344) which should be sent or taken to the DSS together with any state pension or benefit books, which will stop any payments
- certified copies of the register entry £4.00 each, or £7.00 each after the registration (the fee increases to £10.00 once the register becomes full)
- booklets and information leaflets where appropriate
Following the registration, the registrar can help you notify local government departments including benefits, council tax, electoral services etc. See the tell us once page for more information.
If you have any council literature, equipment or cards you would like to return, please bring them with you.
Book an appointment
An appointment is required to register a death. Please contact Customer Services on 01344 352000 to make an appointment. If you require urgent funeral papers during a weekend or Bank Holiday, please call Forestcare on 01344 786500.
If you will require any special assistance at your appointment, please tell us at the time of booking the appointment
The register office is open Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm (excluding Bank Holidays).
How to find us
Our appointments are held at Time Square, unless otherwise stated upon booking.