Help with renting a home
BFC my choice - housing allocation system
If you are looking for an affordable rented home in Bracknell Forest then BFC my choice helps you find that home through a few easy steps. Find out how to join the housing register and more about the allocations system.
Affordable housing in Bracknell Forest is housing with sale prices or rent levels which are substantially lower than the current market price or rent. Find out more about affordable housing.
Renting from a private landlord can be the best option available for many people looking for housing in the borough.
Six to 12-month contracts between you and a private landlord (known as private tenancies, or tenancy agreements) can be repeatedly renewed and can provide stable accommodation if both you and the landlord are happy with the arrangement.
Types of accommodation in the private rented sector:
- shared flats or houses – you have your own room but share the kitchen, bathroom and/or living room with other people
- lodgings – a room in someone’s home
- self-contained flats, houses or studios – you will have your own kitchen and bathroom
Looking for private rented accommodation:
- internet: You may find the following websites useful - Houseladder, Gumtree; or search on “accommodation in Bracknell Forest”
- local newspapers
- supermarket advert boards
- letting agents
Rent deposit scheme
If you need help with meeting the cost of a deposit for a privately rented property, the council may be able to help you with a rent deposit loan. To be eligible for a deposit loan:
- you must be resident in the borough and able to provide proof of this
- you should be homeless or threatened with homelessness
- priority will be given to households who have a priority need for housing under the homeless legislation
Not everyone will qualify for help under this scheme. If you are eligible for help with a deposit loan, a loan equivalent to one month’s rent for a property of a size that you are eligible for under the local housing allowance rules will be available. In some circumstances, additional help with rent in advance may also be available. For more information about the rent deposit loan scheme please contact or visit us.