Housing benefit - backdated claims

If you need information concerning backdating of benefit, please contact us or download and complete a PDF file downloadrequest for backdated benefit form (PDF, 55kb).

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction are normally only paid from the Monday following the date we receive your application form. Benefit cannot normally be backdated and so it is important that you return your claim form to us straight away.

If you want your claim backdated, you will have to show 'continuous good cause' on why you did not claim earlier. The reason must apply for the whole period you want benefit to be backdated for.

Working age customers

If you can show continuous good cause for not claiming throughout the whole period it is possible to consider backdating your claim. Since April 2016 the maximum amount of time we can consider backdating your claim for Housing Benefit is one month. For Council Tax Reduction we can consider backdating your claim for up to 3 months.

You have to prove 'good cause' for not claiming earlier but we must take account of all the facts of your case. We must be satisfied that your circumstances during this time were such that any reasonable person of your age and experience would have failed to claim benefit.

Pension age customers

The time limit for backdating is 3 months for people who have reached the qualifying age for state pension. To calculate your state pension age go to GOV.UK.

The ‘good cause’ provisions will not apply to the 3 month period and as long as you were eligible to claim benefit during this period then your claim will automatically be backdated.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.