Housing benefit - change of circumstances

Please remember you need to tell us immediately about your changes to avoid any overpayments or to avoid losing out on any benefit.

You can notify us of any of your changes either in writing by completing the PDF file downloadchange of circumstances form (PDF, 97kb) or from 14th April 2014 we can now accept most changes over the telephone. If we have enough information from you we will re-assess your claim while you are waiting and then tell you what evidence you need to provide to confirm the changes.

Any evidence you need to provide following a change of circumstance telephone assessment can be emailed to us at online.benefits@bracknell-forest.gov.uk

You must tell us immediately if any of your circumstances change, for example if:

  • you change your address
  • your income or capital goes up or down
  • you come off job seekers allowance or income support
  • your child tax credit and/or working tax credit changes
  • you start work or change jobs
  • you or your partner go into hospital
  • anyone joins or leaves your household
  • a child leaves school

Please note this is not a full list and if you are unsure whether a change in your circumstances will affect your benefit please contact us for further advice. You must give us full details about the change in your circumstances including the date the change occurred.

Local authorities can now impose Civil Penalties on households which fail without reasonable excuse to inform the council of a change in circumstance that results in an overpayment of Housing Benefit.

Going back to work doesn’t mean giving up all your benefits

Did you know that you may still get benefit when you go back to work? Almost everyone can be better off in work. You may also be able to claim up to 4 weeks housing/council tax benefit at the same level you were getting before your circumstances changed. This is called an extended payment. For more information about benefits you may be entitled to and about extended payments please go to GOV.UK.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.