Housing benefit - information for students
Students can only claim housing benefit if they fall into one or more of the following categories:
- aged under 19 and in further education but not higher education
- aged 60 or over
- looking after a child or young person
- receiving Income Support/Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
Students living in accommodation owned by their educational establishment are not eligible to claim housing benefit.
Most part time students are eligible to claim housing benefit, but sometimes there is confusion over whether or not you are considered to be a part time or full time student. To be classed as a part time student you must be studying for under 16 hours a week.
If you are a student and wish to apply for housing benefit, you will need to contact us and provide the following documents:
- details of any covenant income
- details of any parental contributions
- details of the course that you are undertaking, including period of study
- proof of your grant
- proof of your student loan