How do I register?

You can now register to vote online at GOV.UK.

Registration is now under a system called Individual Electoral Registration.

Individual electoral registration

Individual electoral registration (IER) has been introduced nationally to help tackle electoral fraud and enable online registration. This will make it easier and more convenient for residents to register to vote.

Each resident now needs to register individually. Their application will have to include their date of birth and their national insurance number to confirm their identity. If you are unable to supply this information, there are alternative forms of evidence which can be accepted.

Online registration is via GOV.UK. If you're unable to register online, go to the voter registration forms (paper versions) on the GOV.UK website or call us on 01344 352000 and we will submit your details for you to the national registration website. Please have your National Insurance number ready when you call, as that information is needed to register. 

To find out more go to GOV.UK - Your Vote Matters.

If you're already registered to vote

Contact us at to check whether you are registered to vote.

Rolling registration

If you move house or your details change, you can update your registration at any time of year by going online or completing a new voter registration form. You'll then be notified of the changes to the electoral register in writing, which you may want to keep as proof of your registration.

Timetable for Registering

The revised Register of Electors came into force on 1 December and applies for a year.

This PDF file downloadtimetable (PDF, 477kb) shows the dates the register will be updated and when applications for those dates must be made.

Deadline for registering to vote in the event of an election

An application to be registered to vote at an election can be made up to the end of the 12th working day before an election.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.