Letting your home
The private rented sector has an important part to play in the housing market in Bracknell Forest. It operates in different ways, sometimes providing short-term accommodation but sometimes providing long-term homes for families. The council is keen to support this sector of the housing market.
For advice on how to let a property you should start with the top ten tips:
- Speak to your mortgage lender
- Get references from potential tenants
- Prepare a formal tenancy agreement
- If you take a deposit, it must be properly protected
- Obtain an energy performance certificate
- Find out whether you need a property licence
- Get all your gas and electrical appliances checked
- Minimise the risk from fire
- Ensure that your property presents no risk to your tenants' health and safety
- Don't find yourself in court when something goes wrong
If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the Housing Options Team. If you intend to let a house for multiple occupation (where unrelated people live together) please contact our Environmental Health Team.