Licence - alcohol and entertainment - personal

You need a personal licence to supervise the sale of alcohol in premises including pubs, off-licences, restaurants, hotels, and supermarkets.

You should apply for a personal licence to the local authority for the area in which you live. If you move to another area the licence is ‘portable’. This means the personal licence will 'travel' with you. You should notify your original licensing authority of any changes of name or address while you hold a personal licence.

It is no longer necessary to renew a personal licence. Section 115 of the Licensing Act 2003 has been amended by section 69 of the Deregulation Act 2015, removing the requirement to renew personal licences. Any licences with an expiry date after 1 April 2015, or that bear no expiry date, shall remain valid indefinitely. If you would like to have a new personal licence issued with a current photo then you can send in a passport photo with a covering letter and the fee of £10.50. You will then receive a new personal licence card.

There are various duties on holders of personal licences and a court can seek forfeiture of a licence if the licensee is convicted of various relevant offences listed in the Licensing Act 2003.

To apply for a licence you must: 

  • be over 18 years of age
  • not have any relevant criminal convictions as spelt out in the Act
  • possess an approved licensing qualification
  • pay the required fee

How to apply

Please find instructions and forms below:

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.