Licence - child employment
There are byelaws in Bracknell Forest which affect both the hours that children may work and also the type of work some children can do.
In order for a child of compulsory school age to work lawfully, they must have a work permit. Please complete the application form for employment of children (PDF, 124kb) to apply for one.
A young person is of compulsory school age until the last Friday in June in the school year in which they reach the age of sixteen years.
Further information on child employment can be found in our guide to child employment (PDF, 123kb).
Child entertainment licenses
Any child working in entertainment must have a license issued by the local council where they live. This includes children who perform on stage or in television, films, commercials, photography or modelling.
To apply for a child entertainment license please complete the application form for child entertainment license (PDF, 98kb) which must be signed by the applicant and parents and sent together with the following documents:
- two recent passport sized photographs
- a copy of the birth certificate or passport
- a medical certificate from the child’s parents or doctor's note or medical declaration - this is dependant on the type and duration of the performance
- a letter from the child's school giving permission for the child to be absent from school for the performance/film, if needed
We must be satisfied that arrangements for the supervision and protection of the child are adequate and that the disruption to the child's education is kept to a minimum.
A child does not require a license if:
- they perform for only 4 days in any 6 month period and do not require any time off school nor will they receive any payment for the performance (on the 5th day the child will require a license)
- they perform in their full time school performance (the school they attend daily not the dance school)
Please note we may refuse to grant a license if the application form is not received at least 7 working days before the license is required.