Licence - child employment and performance
Child employment permit or card
There are byelaws in Bracknell Forest which affect both the hours that children may work and also the type of work some children can do.
In order for a child of compulsory school age to work lawfully, they must have a work permit. Please complete the application form for employment of children (PDF, 124kb) to apply for one.
A young person is of compulsory school age until the last Friday in June in the school year in which they reach the age of sixteen years.
Further information on child employment can be found in our guide to child employment (PDF, 123kb).
Child entertainment licences
Any child working in entertainment must have a licence issued by the local council where they live. This includes children who perform on stage or in television, films, commercials, photography or modelling.
To apply for a child entertainment licence the child performance licence application form (PDF, 84kb) must be completed and signed by both applicant and parent and sent together with the following documents:
- a recent passport size or electronic photograph of the child (front facing, head and shoulders shot)
- a copy of the child's birth certificate or valid passport
- a medical certificate from the child’s parents
- a letter from the child's school giving permission for the child to be absent from school to perform, if needed
We must be satisfied that arrangements for the supervision and protection of the child are adequate and that the disruption to the child's education is kept to a minimum.
A child does not require a licence if:
- they perform for only 4 days in any 6 month period and do not require any time off school nor will they receive any payment for the performance (on the 5th day the child will require a licence)
- they perform in their full time school performance (the school they attend daily not the dance school)
Please note we may refuse to grant a licence if the application form is not received at least 7 working days before the licence is required.