Licence - dangerous animals

To keep a dangerous wild animal, you need a licence. Look at the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 to find out which animals that are classified as 'dangerous wild animals'.

How to apply

Please download these forms:

The application forms give details of eligibility to hold a dangerous animals licence.

Application process

Once we receive your application we will arrange for an inspection of the premises by an authorised officer of the council.

Before granting a licence we must be satisfied that there are satisfactory arrangements in place for the safety and the welfare of the animals and that there will be no risk or nuisance to anyone else.

How long will it take to process my application?

We aim to process your application within 28 days of receiving it. As it is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted, please contact us if you have not heard from us by the end of this period.

How to appeal

Please contact us first. Any applicant who is refused a licence or wants to object to a condition on the licence can appeal to their local magistrates' court within 21 days of receiving notice of the decision.

Complaints about dangerous wild animals

If you wish to complain about a dangerous wild animal or if you believe that there has been a breach of licence conditions please contact us so we can investigate.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.