Licences granted by other organisations

Consumer credit

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 requires most businesses that offer goods or services on credit or lend money to consumers to be licensed by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Trading without a licence is a criminal offence and can result in a fine and/or imprisonment. The FCA deals with all applications for consumer credit licences.

Financial Conduct Authority

Door supervisors

All door supervisors in Bracknell Forest must hold a Security Industry Authority (SIA) licence. It is against the law to work as a door supervisor without an SIA licence. Locally issued licences, badges and registration schemes are no longer valid.

If you are front-line staff, you must be over 18, pass an identity and criminal record check, and have the right SIA-approved qualification in order to get an SIA licence.

If you are non-front line staff, such as a manager or supervisor, you will need to pass a criminal record check and an identity check. You will not need to take training. The SIA will also look at three other criteria - mental health, the right to work, and any evidence of relevant criminal activity.

Security Industry Authority

Licence to play music in public

If you use any equipment to play recorded music (such as tapes or CDs) in your premises for the benefit of your customers then you will almost certainly require a licence from Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL) and/or a licence from The Performing Rights Society (PRS).

PRS for music


Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.