Licence - petroleum

EUGO logo

To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine - or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use - you need a licence from your local petroleum licensing authority.

How to apply

To apply, transfer or renew your licence or to tell us about a change to your existing licence, please see applications below:

Please ensure you have read the information below before completing an application form.

What the law says

View HSE Fire and Explosion Guidance

How long will it take you to process my application?

We aim to process your application within 28 days of receiving it. As it is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted, please contact us if you have not heard from us within this period. 

The fee payable depends upon the maximum quantity of petroleum spirit/mixtures to be kept. Fee levels are set by regulation and subject to periodic review.

Bracknell Forest Council as the Petroleum Licensing Authority (PLA) only has responsibility for retail above and underground petroleum storage and private workplace dispensers. The Health and Safety Executive are responsible for non-retail above ground petroleum storage.

The PLA is responsible for the following storage quantities:

 Quantity Fee
 Less than 2,500 litres £44
 2,500 - 50,000 litres £60
 More than 50,000 litres £125
 Petroleum (transfer of licences) £8

Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations require premises that have more than five employees to carry out a risk assessment and this must be recorded. If there are less than five employees a risk assessment must still be carried out but does not need to be recorded.

The application for a licence must be accompanied by two copies of each of the following plans:

  • a plan scale 1/500 giving sufficient information to identify the site easily and the position of buildings nearby, together with public highways, footpaths and the boundary of the site
  • a drawing scale 1/100 showing the layout, including means of escape, signs, means for fighting fire, electrical and ventilation arrangements and drainage, storage tanks/containers, dispensers and associated pipework
  • before a licence can be issued, an electrical certificate testifying as to compliance with the appropriate standards and duly signed by a qualified and experienced person, must be forwarded to the petroleum officer
  • any application for planning permission or for consent under the building regulations should be the subject of separate applications to the borough planning officer
  • proof of recorded risk assessment where premises has more than five employees

How to appeal

Please contact us in the first instance. If an application is refused you may appeal to the secretary of state.

Complaints about petroleum storage

If you wish to complain about petrol storage facilities or if you believe that there has been a breach of licence conditions, please contact us.

If you are in the UK, you can also contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service who will give you advice. From outside the UK please contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.