Skip operator

EUGO logo

You need a licence to operate a skip hire business or own skips. The council registers operators who wish to hire out skips to the building trade or the public.

To apply for a permit to place a skip on a public road or highway, visit our Skip permits page.

How to apply

You can apply online - apply for a skip operator licence.


The fee is £80.40.


As an operator you will need to carry adequate public liability insurance and be a registered waste carrier.

What the law says

The relevant legislation is Highways Act 1980.

How long will it take to process my application?

We aim to process your application within 5 working days of receiving it. As it is in the public interest we must process your application before it can be granted. Please contact us if you have not heard from us within this period.

How to appeal

Please contact us in the first instance.

Complaints about skip operators

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint please contact the skip operator first, preferably in the form of a letter with proof of delivery. If this has not worked then please contact us.

More information

Find out more at:

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.