Licence - street trading

EUGO logo

To sell any item in or within 150 metres of a consent street in the borough, you need a street trading consent from the local authority. All highways in the borough are designated as consent streets.

How to apply


You must be at least 17 years old to apply for a street trading consent.

What the law says

Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982

Application process

Your application must include:

  • a location plan
  • a copy of permission from the landowner
  • photograph of the trader and vehicle/stall
  • food hygiene certificate (if food is to be sold)
  • public liability insurance document

We will consult with responsible bodies such as the police and our environmental health team and will take any comments received into account when making a decision about the application.

How long will it take to process my application?

We aim to process your application within 28 days of receiving it. As it is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted please contact us if you have not heard from us by the end of this period.

How to appeal

Please contact us in the first instance.

There is no formal right of appeal to a magistrates' court or Crown Court in respect of a refusal to grant or vary a street trading consent.

Complaints about street traders

If you want to complain that a street trader is causing a nuisance, or if you believe that there has been a breach of licence conditions, please contact us so we can investigate.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.