Marriage - registering a building of worship

Registering a building of worship

A place of meeting for religious worship may be registered as a building of worship by applying to the registrar in the district where the building is situated. This excludes churches or chapels of the Church of England, unless it shares a church building with another religious denomination.

You will need two forms which can be obtained from your local register office. The forms can be signed by anyone who can represent the congregation such as a minister, proprietor or trustee. When the forms have been completed, you should send them to the register office with:

  • a floor plan of the building (does not need to be to scale or professionally drawn)
  • an average weekly timetable showing how the building will be used (including all activities, not just those run by the congregation)
  • a cheque or postal order made payable to Bracknell Forest Council for £28

Registering a place of worship for marriage

To apply for this the building must also be certified as a place of worship. If the building is not already certified, the two applications can be made at the same time.

You will need two forms, which can be obtained from the register office. They must be signed by 20 householders who regard the building as their usual place of worship.

A householder is any person who resides at an address and has either sole or joint responsibility for that household. The forms must be countersigned by a trustee of, or proprietor of the building.

A statutory fee of £120 is payable by cheque or postal order made payable to Bracknell Forest Council.

The applicant is sent a certificate confirming the certification and registration for marriages.

What do I need?

Please contact the register office to request the required forms or for further information regarding this service.

Other questions you might have

If the place of worship has wholly ceased to be used by the congregation on whose behalf it was certified, the present occupier should inform the register office. If the building is taken over by a completely new congregation they should re-certify the building as outlined above.

Any change in description, or change of address of the building should be notified to the register office. They will also be able to advise whether re-certification is necessary if the place of religious worship is rebuilt.

Opening times

The register office is open Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm (excluding Bank Holidays).

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.