Overseas marriages and civil partnerships

If you have decided to marry or form a civil partnership abroad, you should contact the relevant embassy or consulate in that country to find out the legal requirements and what you need to do.

Giving notice

If you are both British nationals and wish to get married or form a civil partnership abroad, you may still give notice in the district where you live. However, if only one party is British and the other is from a foreign (not Commonwealth) country, and you are marrying in a foreign country then the notice can only be given by the British party in the district where they have lived for at least 7 full days.

Please check with the country of your ceremony how long in advance notice can be given, each country sets their own limit and we cannot give advice regarding timescales. You will also need to check if the country concerned requires you to have the document legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, or translated by an official translator. Again, we are not able to give advice on this as each country is different.

Details of the documents required can be found on the giving notice page.

If you need any other information about marrying or forming a civil partnership abroad, contact your local register office.

Opening times

The register office is open Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm (excluding Bank Holidays).

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.