Overview and scrutiny at Bracknell Forest
In Bracknell Forest Overview and Scrutiny is carried out by a commission and four panels covering:
- Adult Social Care and Housing Overview and Scrutiny Panel
- Children, Young People and Learning Overview and Scrutiny Panel
- Environment, Culture and Communities Overview and Scrutiny Panel
- Health Overview and Scrutiny Panel
Each of the panels and the commission is made up of elected non-executive members of the council. Some of the panels also include other representatives such as church, parent governor and teacher representatives.
The work of the commission and panels is steered by a work programme. Much of the detailed work is carried out by working groups. Some of these groups are formed to provide an input to policy development, and other groups carry out investigations and then produce a report on the specific issue. Council officers, expert witnesses, partners and service users participate in these reviews. Site visits may be carried out and independent research may be considered.
These councillors chair the overview and scrutiny meetings:
- Councillor Ian Leake - Overview and Scrutiny Commission (Chairman)
- Councillor Mrs Gill Birch - Children, Young People and Learning Overview and Scrutiny Panel (Chairman)
- Councillor Robert Angell – Environment, Culture and Communities Overview and Scrutiny Panel (Chairman)
- Councillor Susie Phillips - Health Overview and Scrutiny Panel (Chairman)
- Councillor John Harrison - Adult Social Care and Housing Overview and Scrutiny Panel (Chairman)
The Overview and Scrutiny Commission
The Overview and Scrutiny Commission co-ordinates the work of the panels and reviews corporate issues concerning the whole council. This co-ordination role includes appointing panel members and agreeing a work programme for all overview and scrutiny work. The commission regularly scrutinises the council’s overall performance. It also looks at the performance of the Chief Executive’s Office and the Corporate Services department in more detail. The Commission undertakes its own cross-cutting reviews when required. It is also the council’s statutory ‘Crime and Disorder’ Committee.
The Commission’s terms of reference and membership can be viewed online.
Joint East Berkshire Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee
The Joint East Berkshire Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee is a joint body whose membership is taken from the three unitary authorities covering East Berkshire, namely, Bracknell Forest Council, Slough Borough Council and the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead.
The Joint Committee carries out joint health scrutiny work across East Berkshire under powers to scrutinise the National Health Service (NHS) contained in the Health and Social Care Act 2001. A subsequent direction issued by the Secretary of State in July 2003 requires the establishment of a statutory joint health overview and scrutiny committee to consider and respond to proposals for developments or variations in health services that affect more than one local authority area. This is especially the case when the proposals are considered substantial for the areas affected.
Currently, no meetings are planned for this Committee, which will meet if the need arises.