Food businesses - registration

EUGO logo

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with the local authority. Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before doing so.

Who needs to register

The following food businesses need to register:

  • restaurants, hotels and guest houses
  • cafes
  • supermarkets and other shops selling food
  • staff canteens including kitchens in offices
  • warehouses
  • delivery vehicles
  • market and other stalls
  • burger, ice cream and other food vans

It also includes any other type of premises, including charities, not in this list but used for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food. If you use premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.

Registration allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in the area so we can visit them when we need to. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.

Additionally, some very specific activities need approval prior to operating. Please see our Food premises - approval pages for further details.


If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell us where they are normally kept.

How to apply

You can register or change your registration details using the following external links to GOV.UK:

Alternatively, you can download a council application form:

PDF file downloadApplication for registration of food business establishment (PDF, 51kb)

There is no charge for registration and it cannot be refused.

Registration process

You will be able to act as though your registration is granted even if you do not hear from us by the end of the notification period of 28 days.

What happens next

Once we receive your completed registration form we will enter you onto the food premises register. This is a list that we are legally required to keep of all relevant food premises within Bracknell Forest.

Depending on what you do, we will visit you to undertake a first inspection in order to help provide you with any advice or guidance that you may need to comply with what the law says. However if you are a lower risk (for example home baking) we may telephone or send you a questionnaire instead.

If you close your business or decide not to open it, or make significant changes to your business activities, such as additional food activities, change in trading name or ownership, you must also let us know by either using the online enquiry form or contacting us direct.

What the law says

Visit the Food Standards Agency website for more information about hygiene legislation.

For more detail about the main European Regulations that apply, please visit:

Premises needing approval

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin, for example meat, fish, dairy and so on may need their premises approved by the local authority or the Meat Hygiene Service rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, please contact us.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.