Road occupation consent

EUGO logo

Please apply for a road occupation consent if you wish to undertake any of the below:

  • deposit building materials, rubbish temporarily on the highway (s171, HA)
  • apply for a crane/cherry picker/plant to be placed on the highway (s171, HA)
  • apply for a road closure (s14 RTRA)
  • to excavate/open up the public highway (s171, HA)
  • lay underground or surface apparatus in the highway

You must comply with any conditions attached to a consent and also with requirements relating to the fencing off and lighting of deposits or excavations.

How to apply

You can apply online:

Apply to work on the highway

What the law says

The relevant legislation is:

How long will my application take to process?

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 21 working days, please contact us.

How to appeal

Please contact us in the first instance. If you wish to appeal against a decision you may do so to the local magistrates' court.

Complaints about occupation of roads

We advise that if you have a complaint you contact the trader first - preferably by letter (with proof of delivery). If that hasn't worked and if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer advice will give you advice. From outside the UK, please contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.