Community and Councillor Call for Action

Community Call for Action (CCA)

The Police and Justice Act 2006 states that where a councillor is asked to consider a local crime and disorder or substance misuse matter by a person who lives or works in his/her ward, that councillor shall consider the matter and respond to the person indicating what, if any, action he/she intends to take to resolve the matter.

This action may include referring the matter to the Overview and Scrutiny Commission whose remit includes crime and disorder and which has the power to:

  • review or scrutinise decisions made, or other action taken, in connection with the discharge of local crime and disorder functions
  • make reports or recommendations to the council or the executive with respect to the discharge of those functions, copies of which should normally be sent to other responsible authorities and co-operating persons/bodies (as defined in the Crime and Disorder Act 1998)

Councillor Call for Action (CCfA)

The Local Government and Public Involvement in Health Act 2007 requires each local authority operating executive arrangements to ensure its overview and scrutiny arrangements enable any member of the authority to refer a local government matter affecting the authority’s area to the relevant body for discussion.

CCfA is intended to be a means of ‘last resort’ with matters being raised at overview and scrutiny meetings only after other resolution avenues have been exhausted.

Where a councillor raises a CCfA the Overview and Scrutiny Commission must decide whether or not to exercise its powers under the Act. Those powers are to:

  • review or scrutinise a decision made, or other action taken
  • make reports or recommendations to the council or the executive with respect to the discharge of any functions or matters which affect the authority’s area or residents

Where the commission decides not to exercise its powers in relation to the matter it must notify the councillor of the decision giving the reason. Where it does exercise its powers it must provide the councillor with a copy of any report or recommendations made to the council or the executive.

If you wish to propose an issue to be raised as a CCA or a CCfA, please complete the community call for action request form and contact the Overview and Scrutiny team.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.