Skip permits

EUGO logo

To put a builder's skip on a public road authorised skip companies need a permit from the local authority. Skips should not be placed on the highway until an application to do so has been processed and the licence has actually been issued.

To run a skip hire business you also need a skip operator licence.

How to apply

You can apply online:


This depends on the duration of the permit. Please look at the form for further information.

What the law says

The relevant legislation is Highways Act 1980.

Application process

Permission may be given subject to conditions which may relate to the following:

  • siting the skip
  • skips must not be sited on a footway
  • skip dimensions
  • making skips visible to traffic
  • care and disposal of skip contents
  • lighting and guarding of skips
  • skip removal

How long will it take to process my application?

We aim to process your application within five working days of receiving it. As it is in the public interest we must process your application before the permit can be granted. Please contact us if you have not heard from us within this period.

How to appeal

Please contact us in the first instance.

Complaints about skips

If you have a complaint about a skip placed on the highway, please contact us.

If the skip is located on private property, we would advise you to contact the skip company first, preferably by letter (with proof of delivery). If that does not work, if you are located in the UK,  Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.