Social care - direct payments

Anybody who has been assessed as needing help from Adult Social Care or the Disabled Children's Team has a right to be considered for direct payments. These people include:

  • carers
  • older people
  • parents of a child with a disability
  • people with a disability aged 16 and over
  • people with mental health needs
  • people with learning disabilities

Direct payments are paid directly to the person or their nominee who can receive the money on behalf of the person who needs care and support. These payments are designed to give people more freedom and independence over how money is used to provide support.

How is the amount I receive calculated?

If you are assessed to pay a contribution towards your care costs, the amount of money you receive will depend on the level of support you need and will not differ if you decide to choose direct payments.

Direct payments are not treated as income, so are not taxable. For this reason they do not affect any benefits you may receive.

How can I find out more?

For further information about Direct Payments, please contact your social work practitioner or visit the Department of Health website.

You can also contact us using the details on this page, or you can fill in our Direct Payments online enquiry form and we will respond as soon as possible.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.