Special educational needs

With the implementation of the Children and Families Act 2014, the Authority is responsible for the special educational needs of all children living in the Borough from 0 to 25. This removes the previous ceasing point to support SEN, which had been up until a young person left school.

Most children will have their special educational needs met in their local school using generally available resources. Those with severe or complex needs, (notionally some 2% of the population) have been historically subject to a statement of special educational needs.

As of September 2014, new SEN Reforms require all currently issued Statements to be converted into new Education, Health and Care Plans, with the expectation that all current Statements will be converted by April 2018. The SEN Team is responsible for monitoring and maintaining all statements and Education, Health and Care Plans for students living within the Borough.

The SEN Team are responsible for ensuring children and young people receive special provision as deemed necessary, usually either through supplementary resources to a mainstream school or through placement in a special school. On occasion, joint arrangements are made with the Health Authority or Social Care in order to achieve a holistic approach to meeting children and young people’s needs.

From September 2014 local authorities are required to publish information online about services for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) aged 0 to 25.

Local Offer

The Local Offer provides accurate and easy to understand information for professionals, parents, carers and young people about available services and how they can access them. The Local Offer also puts all the information in one place, regarding health care, social services, education, leisure activities and support groups available in the area. It also explains the additional or different provision provided for children who have SEND.

See Bracknell Forest Local Offer for details on services available.

Further information

You can find more detailed information in the documents below:


Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.