Stillbirth - registering
You are required by law to register the still-birth of your baby within six weeks. The still-birth must be registered at the Register Office of the district where the still-birth took place.
Registration services we provide
We register still-births that occur in the Bracknell Forest district.
Who can register?
- Either parent may register if married to each other at the time of the still-birth
- The mother or the mother and father together if they are not married to each other.
If the parents were not married to each other at the time of the still-birth, the father’s details can only be entered in the register in the following circumstances:
- Both father and mother attend the Register Office
- If the father is unable to attend, he must make a statutory declaration acknowledging his paternity, which should be given to the Registrar
- If the mother is unable to attend with the father, she must make a statutory declaration acknowledging the father’s paternity, which the father should produce. (The statutory declaration form is available from the Register Office)
What the Registrar will need to know
- The date and place of baby's still-birth
- The full name and surname given to the baby
- The sex of the baby
- The full name and surname of the father (if entered)
- The place of birth of the father (if entered)
- The father's occupation at the time of the still-birth (if entered)
- The father's home address (if entered)
- The full name and surname of the mother
- Maiden surname, and any other surname used by the mother
- The place of birth of the mother
- The mother's occupation
- The mother's address including postcode
- The cause of still-birth as given by the doctor or midwife
The following information is required by law, but does not appear in the register.
- The date of birth for the mother and father (date for father only if his details are shown)
- Any other children born to the mother within marriage
- If the parents are married, the month and year of their marriage.
Book an appointment
An appointment is required to register a still-birth. Please contact the Register Office to make an appointment.
If you will require any special assistance at your appointment, please tell us at the time of booking the appointment
The Register Office is open Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm (excluding Bank Holidays).
How to find us
Our appointments are held at Easthampstead House, unless otherwise stated upon booking.