Stillbirth - registering
You are required by law to register the stillbirth of your baby within six weeks. The stillbirth must be registered at the register office of the district where the stillbirth took place.
Registration services we provide
We register stillbirths that occur in the Bracknell Forest district.
Who can register?
Either parent may register if married to each other at the time of the stillbirth.
The mother or the mother and father together if they are not married to each other.
If the parents were not married to each other at the time of the stillbirth, the father’s details can only be entered in the register in the following circumstances:
- both father and mother attend the register office
- if the father is unable to attend, he must make a statutory declaration acknowledging his paternity, which should be given to the registrar
- if the mother is unable to attend with the father, she must make a statutory declaration acknowledging the father’s paternity, which the father should produce (the statutory declaration form is available from the register office)
What do I need?
You will need to provide the following information:
- date and place of baby's stillbirth
- full name and surname given to the baby
- sex of the baby
- full name and surname of the father (if entered)
- place of birth of the father (if entered)
- father's occupation at the time of the stillbirth (if entered)
- father's home address (if entered)
- full name and surname of the mother
- maiden surname, and any other surname used by the mother
- place of birth of the mother
- mother's occupation
- mother's address including postcode
- cause of stillbirth as given by the doctor or midwife
The following information is required by law, but does not appear in the register:
- date of birth for the mother and father (date for father only if his details are shown)
- any other children born to the mother within marriage
- if the parents are married, the month and year of their marriage
Book an appointment
An appointment is required to register a stillbirth. Please contact the register office to make an appointment.
If you will require any special assistance at your appointment, please tell us at the time of booking the appointment
The register office is open Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm (excluding Bank Holidays).
How to find us
Our appointments are held at Easthampstead House, unless otherwise stated upon booking.