Supporting people - strategy
Supporting people is a partnership that involves the council’s social services and housing department and the Thames Valley probation service.
Our aim is to improve quality of life for a range of vulnerable people, by helping them to live as independently as possible and play an active part in our community.
Our inclusive approach has helped us to plan for how and where housing related support should be delivered in the future. It has also enabled us to ensure that supporting people will work as a preventative programme, helping our partners to meet wider objectives in areas such as:
- health improvement, by enabling people with a range of mental and physical health needs to live in the community
- community safety, by supporting the victims of crime and helping former offenders to reintegrate into society
- community cohesion, by providing access to support services for black and minority ethnic communities, as well as other groups that suffer exclusion and marginalisation
- housing and homelessness, by preventing families and individuals at risk from losing their tenancies or falling into mortgage arrears
- services to older people, by offering a choice of support options regardless of tenure