All drivers, vehicles and operators involved in any kind of hire or reward work need to be licensed. This ensures that people who are 'unfit' due to previous criminal behaviour are not allowed to drive taxis or private hire vehicles and that safety is paramount.
The Hackney carriage and private hire licensing criminal convictions policy (PDF, 158kb) provides guidance on the criteria taken into account by the council when determining whether or not an applicant or an existing licence holder is a fit and proper person to hold a driver or operator licence. This document supersedes the policy at Appendix A of the Guidance Notes document.
All vehicles are independently inspected for roadworthiness to a standard exceeding the MOT requirements.
Hackney Carriages have a 'Taxi' roof sign and meter. They are allowed to pick up from taxi ranks and when hailed in the street. All other work is private hire and involves a pre-arranged booking. If a private hire vehicle stops when hailed it is likely that persons travelling would not be insured.
Guidance notes are available to download from this page. Hard copies are available from the council office at Time Square.
- Application form for a driver's licence (PDF, 138kb)
- Renewal application form for driver's licence (PDF, 118kb)
- Change of driver licence type (PDF, 134kb)
- Driver medical report form (PDF, 154kb)
- DBS certificate copy agreement form (PDF, 67kb)
- New vehicle licence (PDF, 119kb)
- Renewal vehicle licence (PDF, 116kb)
- Replacement vehicle licence (PDF, 137kb)
- Change of vehicle registration (PDF, 126kb)
All licence holders
- Notify change of address or transfer of vehicle licence (PDF, 124kb)
- Notify conviction, caution or fixed penalty (PDF, 98kb)
How to pay
Please send completed applications to the Customer Service Centre at our office at Time Square.
Payment can be made in the following ways:
- online - please go to our online payments page
- by credit or debit card at Time Square or over the phone on 01344 352000
- by cash or cheque (made payable to Bracknell Forest Borough Council) at Time Square
If any of the necessary paperwork is not supplied or any details are omitted then the application will be deemed invalid. We will return it to the address given on the form. See fees for licences:
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks
All licensed drivers are required to have a DBS check every three years. When you are due a check we will write to you. The letter will provide the login details and tell you how to apply online.
If you need help please look at our DBS guide for applicants (PDF, 2684kb).
Once you have completed the online application form, you will need to take the relevant ID documents for verification by the Customer Service Centre at our Time Square Offices. Your application will not be deemed as complete until you have done this.
For a list of acceptable documents please visit the GOV.UK website.
If you have any queries please contact us.
Complaints about taxis
If you wish to complain about a taxi or if you believe that there has been a breach of licence conditions, please contact us so we can investigate.