Apply for a temporary road closure order

EUGO logo

Under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 you need to apply to the local highways authority for a temporary road closure order. In Bracknell Forest, the highways authority is Bracknell Forest Council.

Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs) allow roads to be closed or restrict traffic movement. These permit temporary road works or manage events on the public highway such as crane operations, demonstrations and parades.

If a closure is required a diversion route may need to be signed to assist traffic to find a suitable way around the closure and to minimise potential disruption on the highway network. The cost of erecting, maintaining and removing diversion route signing is usually the responsibility of the contractor or company organising the works.

How to apply

We require a minimum notice of between 6 to 8 weeks before the event to carry out the required legal procedures.

If it can be demonstrated that the works are urgent in order to fix or prevent a hazard then a Temporary Traffic Regulation Notice (TTRN) may be issued on the satisfaction of the Traffic Manager.

You can apply online - apply to close a road temporarily.

What the law says

The relevant legislation is Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

How long will it take to process my application?

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted which involves a statutory requirement to advertise in the local press twice. If you have not heard from us within 7 days of initial application please contact us. The road closure order takes 6 to 8 weeks to process.


The Temporary Traffic Regulation Notice (TTRN) has an application fee of £727.25.

The Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) has an application fee of £727.25 and additional cost of advertising in the local newspaper and administration. This cost when known will be invoiced to the applicant on a 28 day payment request. Registered charities pay £5 plus the cost of advertising.

Can I appeal if my application is unsuccessful or if I don't agree with the conditions? 

Please contact us in the first instance. If you wish to appeal against a decision you may do so to the local magistrates' court.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.