Using the street or pavement for displays

EUGO logo

If you operate a business and wish to place an advertising board or display on the highway or pavement you need a permit from the local authority.

How to apply

You can apply online:

Apply to use street or pavement space for displays


The fee is £69.20.

What the law says

The relevant legislation is Highways Act 1980, Section 115B /115E.

Application process

Once we receive your application we must consult the public and frontagers of the street before an agreement can be entered.

Public consolation takes 28 days.

How long will it take to process my application?

We aim to process your application within 40 working days.

We require this time to ensure your application is processed accordingly, we will contact you if we require any further information.

Complaints about displays

We advise that if you have a complaint you contact the trader first - preferably by letter (with proof of delivery). If that hasn't worked, and if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK, please contact the UK European Consumer Centre

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.