Vehicle access - dropped kerbs

A crossover is an area of lowered pavement and kerb which is used to give access to vehicles from a road, across the pavement, and onto a driveway or parking area.

If you drive over a footway, such as a pavement, to get to your driveway and you do not have a dropped kerb you are breaking the law. You should therefore have the kerb dropped before you construct your driveway.

Driveway construction

Please ensure that the crossover is constructed before you start to construct your driveway.

You must provide an off-highway parking depth of at least 5.5 metres with direct access to the carriageway without causing safety concerns. The depth should be 6 metres if the access is in front of a garage.

For information about building a driveway and having a dropped kerb constructed please read our PDF file downloadinformation leaflet (PDF, 617kb).

If your driveway has already been constructed, please ensure the path edgings between the footway and driveway have not been removed. If the edgings are removed, the council will replace them at a cost to you.

What to check before applying for a crossover

Planning permission

If the road you require access from is on a classified road (A, B, or C) you will require planning permission before applying for the kerb to be lowered. You can check whether a road is classified on the find your nearest map by clicking on the relevant road.

Please note that obtaining planning permission can take time. You are advised to obtain planning permission prior to completing your application form for vehicle access. See our How to make a planning application page for more information.

Land ownership and permission

If you don’t own the land you must provide evidence that you have consent from the owner to cross the land.

Tenant - you will need to contact your landlord to obtain permission to allow a vehicle to park on the land concerned. If you are a Bracknell Forest Homes tenant permission must be given by your housing officer in writing. For private tenants, permission must be given by the landlord in writing.

Owner of an ex-council house - your property is likely to be the subject to a condition (called a covenant) which currently prevents cars being parked on the property. If you live in an ex Bracknell Forest Council property or Bracknell Forest Homes property, you need to contact Neighbourhood Services at Bracknell Forest Homes on 01344 382800 to have the Restrictive Covenant relaxed. Proofs must be submitted within 8 weeks of completing your application - there is extra cost involved with this.

Owner of an ex-council house (but not the garden) - some council house sale agreements were provided for the council to retain ownership of the land. If your agreement is written in this way, you need to contact Bracknell Forest Homes on 01344 382800 to arrange for the purchase of the land. Please be aware that this may also require planning permission and would involve you in additional charges.

Constructing your driveway

Materials - if your driveway has a natural fall to the public highway it must be constructed of a permeable material, which allows water to filter without running onto the highway. If your driveway is to be constructed of a non-permeable material you will need to contact the council’s planning team for permission.

Trees - if there are trees near the proposed driveway, you must contact the council’s Tree Service to find out whether there is a tree preservation order or restrictive covenant on the trees or if your proposed works will interfere with the existing root system. You can email the Tree Service at

Amenity parking

Permission is likely to be refused if the access interferes with designated amenity parking bays. Please note that this does not include roadside parking.

Using your own contractor

If you would like to arrange for work to be carried out through a private contractor, an inspection must still take place with the council’s highways inspector and all relevant documentation received in this office prior to any permissions being granted.

The PDF file downloadown contractor form (PDF, 105kb) must also be completed and returned along with proofs of insurance documentation (Public Liability £5,000,000 min) and Street Works Accreditation to a supervisory level within 2 weeks of the application form being submitted. A section 184 licence will be issued by the Highway Asset Management Team and the contractor will then have to apply for a street works permit with the council's Highway Network Management Team at extra cost.


If you have manhole covers and stopcocks, these must not be covered and this can increase costs and the length of time taken.

Application fee if using council's contractor (standard vehicle access) - includes 1 inspection
Application fee if using own contractor - includes 2 inspections
Application fee for property developer or commercial vehicle access - 1 property - includes 1 inspection £607.55
Application fee for property developer or commercial vehicle access - 2 to 50 properties - includes 1 inspection
Application fee for property developer or commercial vehicle access - 51+ properties - includes 1 inspection £1,071.15
Additional inspection visits to site (where necessary)*
Estimated price for standard 5.6m x 1.8m
Starts at around £1,000
Lowering of BT box (if necessary)**
Approximately £1700+
Works on water stop covers
Included in our price

* If you use the council's contractor only one inspection is usually necessary, which is included in the application fee of £93.45.

** As this is private apparatus, we cannot carry out the work ourselves and have to obtain a cost for the works from the utility company.

You need to pay online or via our Customer Services for the application and onsite inspection when you apply. Payment in full is required prior to work commencing.

Important notice about off-highway parking depth - if we find, on inspection, that there is not a depth of at least 5.5 metres (or 6 metres if the access is in front of a garage) we cannot refund the application fee or any other fee in relation to this application.

How to apply

If you feel your circumstances are suitable for a dropped kerb please complete our dropped kerb application form.

What happens next

Missing information

Any failure to meet the requirements of this application including supplying missing information may significantly delay or void the application process. Any consents or changes in covenant which may be required, should be obtained prior to completing the application process and proof returned within 8 weeks to prevent cancellation of the application.


The inspection can take up to 12 weeks once the application fee and all relevant paperwork has been received.

Site visits and quotation

Once a site visit has been carried out we will issue a quotation along with a photograph indicating the work to be carried out. There is no payment plan for this service.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.