Skip to main content


Applications for closure of footpaths and bridleways are less common, as the grounds for making them can only be that the path or way is not needed for public use. With the increasing use of the rights of way network, such proposals are normally opposed.

Consultations will be undertaken before the council decides to proceed. Even if a closure order is made, the statutory public representation period may well prompt formal objections. If these are not withdrawn, the council has to decide whether to forward the order to the Secretary of State for the Environment (who would probably hold a public inquiry), or not to proceed with the order at all. Exactly the same procedures apply to diversion orders if objections are received to them.

Contact Information

Parks and Countryside

Make an enquiry