Skip to main content
Warning triangle

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Visit our coronavirus pages for the latest updates.

About the local council tax discount scheme

The local Council Tax Discount Scheme (CTDS) was introduced on 1 April 2017. The scheme uses a person’s income to decide how much discount to apply to their council tax liability. Pension age customers will not be affected by these changes.

The amount of council tax discount that a working age customer receives is based on the amount of income that they, and any partner, receive. This places the customer in an income band, and the band will determine the amount of discount that a person is entitled to.

The table below shows the income bands and the maximum amount that council tax will be reduced by (percentage entitlement). The percentage is the figure used to calculate the amount of discount.

Table showing income bands and the maximum amount that council tax will be reduced by (percentage entitlement).

Income band

Weekly income range (£)



Vulnerable group/Disability premium condition



0.00 - 80.00 or in receipt of a Passported Benefit



80.01 - 140.00



140.01 - 200.00



200.01 - 260.00



260.01 - 320.00



320.01 - 380.00



380.01 - 440.00


Any non-dependent deduction is made after the income band percentage is applied.

If a customer, or any partner, are in receipt of an income that triggers an award of Disability Premium, Enhanced Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium they automatically be placed in band 1.

If the customer, or any partner, is in receipt of Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance (income related), Job Seekers Allowance (income based), they will be automatically be placed in band 2.

If the customer already meets the adult disability premium conditions for band 1 or is in receipt of maintenance for their child/children, their claim will continue to be treated as a standard claim.

Council Tax Discount must be applied for and is not automatically granted. Please see making a council tax discount claim.

Getting help with the changes

If you need help with budgeting or financial advice or advice on changes and how they affect your council tax please contact the welfare and housing service.

Contact information

Welfare and Housing Service

Make an enquiry