Skip to main content

Read about the arrangements following His Royal Highness, The Duke of Edinburgh’s death.

Council tax support penalties

Council tax penalties apply where a resident:

  • fails to notify us that support should have ended
  • fails to notify us that there has been a change in their circumstances, including household changes, which would affect the support
  • makes a false application for council tax support

The amount of penalty is £70 and will be added to the council tax account and collected by the normal billing process.

If you disagree with the decision to impose a council tax penalty

If you disagree with the decision to impose a council tax penalty on you, you can:

  • ask for an explanation of the decision
  • ask for a reconsideration of the decision
  • appeal against the decision

These must be received within 1 calendar month from the date the penalty was imposed.

In asking for a reconsideration or appeal, you need to state, and provide evidence where appropriate, why you feel the decision is wrong.

We will then look at your claim and tell you of the outcome of the reconsideration, outlining the reasons.

If the decision is not changed in your favour, you have the right to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal for England within 2 months of the date of the reconsideration.

Contact information

Welfare and Housing Service

Make an enquiry