Skip to main content

Birth certificate changes

If you find an error on a birth certificate, it should be possible to correct this.

If you wish to change the first name of your child, you can do so within 12 months of registering the birth. This change can only be made once and only to first names.

How to make a change

You can either apply for a correction to:

  • the register office where your child’s birth was registered - for minor mistakes in a parent’s occupation, birthplace or address
  • the General Register Office - for mistakes involving things like names

For more information about how to apply and what evidence may be needed, please see GOV.UK's correct a birth registration page.

Contact Information

Customer services

Make an enquiry