Skip to main content
Warning triangle

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Visit our coronavirus pages for the latest updates.

Giving notice for marriages and civil partnerships

What do I need?

Proof of name, age and nationality

If you are a British Citizen and have a current valid passport, this is sufficient as proof of your name, age and nationality.

If you do not have a current valid passport, you will need to provide:

  • a full birth certificate
  • if you were born after 01/01/1983, you will need to provide a parent’s British birth certificate (if your parents were not married or in a civil partnership at the time of your birth, then it must be your mother’s birth certificate)
  • if using your birth certificate only, we require sight of some other form of photo ID (for example a driving licence)

If you were not born in the UK, a current, valid passport or ID card is essential.

Proof of your address

You must provide proof of your address, for example:

  • bank statement dated in the last month
  • utility bill dated within the last 3 months
  • council tax statement dated within the last year
  • mortgage statement dated within the last year
  • photo driving licence

You may also need to provide:

  • original decree absolute divorce papers (if applicable)
  • if divorce is in a foreign language a translation is required
  • death certificate for former spouse (if applicable)
  • change of name papers (if applicable)
  • parental consent (if under 18)

If your divorce took place in a country other than the UK, there is a fee payable for the clearance of the divorce depending on the country in which the divorce took place:

  • divorce documents that can be cleared by the Register Office - £50:
    Australia, Austria, Barbados, Bermuda, Bulgaria, Canada, Channel Islands, Fiji, Germany, Hungary, Irish Republic, Isle of Man, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Poland, Romania, Russia, Scotland, South Africa, Sweden, Tanzania, USA and Zimbabwe
  • divorce documents that must be cleared by the General Register Office - £75:
    All other Countries

Please be aware that failure to produce the required documents may result in the notice not being taken. If your decree absolute was produced digitally you need to print a copy to bring with you. We do not accept copies shown to us on a mobile device.

Contact information

Bracknell Forest Register Office

Make an enquiry