Skip to main content

Giving notice for marriages and civil partnerships

What do I need?

Proof of name, age and nationality

If you are a British Citizen and have a current valid passport, this is sufficient as proof of your name, age and nationality.

If you do not have a current valid passport, you will need to provide:

  • a full birth certificate
  • if you were born after 01/01/1983, you will need to provide a parent’s British birth certificate (if you parents were not married or in a civil partnership at the time of your birth, then it must be your mother’s birth certificate)
  • if using your birth certificate only, we require sight of some other form of photo ID eg driving licence

If you were not born in the UK, a current, valid passport or ID card is essential.

Proof of your address

You must provide proof of your address, for example:

  • bank statement dated in the last month
  • utility bill dated within the last three months
  • council tax statement dated within the last year
  • mortgage statement dated within the last year
  • photo driving licence

You may also need to provide:

  • original decree absolute divorce papers (if applicable)
  • if divorce is in a foreign language a translation is required
  • death certificate for former spouse (if applicable)
  • change of name papers (if applicable)
  • parental consent (if under 18)

Please be aware that failure to produce the required documents may result in the notice not being taken.

Contact Information

Bracknell Forest Register Office

Make an enquiry