Am I eligible?
You may be able to get a blue badge if you fall into one of the following categories:
Type 1: ‘eligible without further assessment’
You may be issued with a badge without further assessment if you (or the person you are applying for) are more than 2 years old, and fall within one or more of the following descriptions, where you:
- receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
- score 8 points or more under the moving around descriptor for personal independence payment (PIP)
- are registered blind (severely sight impaired)
- receive a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- have been awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
You will be asked to provide proof of the above on application.
Type 2: ‘eligible subject to further assessment’
You may qualify for a blue badge, subject to further assessment, if you (or the person you are applying for) are more than 2 years old, and fall within one or more of the following descriptions, where you:
- drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms, and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter
- are unable to walk or have very considerable difficulty in walking because of a permanent and substantial disability
You may be asked to provide medical evidence to support your application.
Children under 3
Children under the age of 3 may qualify for a blue badge if they:
- must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around with the child without great difficulty
- must always be kept near a motor vehicle so that they can, if necessary, be treated for that condition in the vehicle or taken quickly in the vehicle to a place where they can be so treated
You may be asked to provide medical evidence on behalf of your child to support the application.