Skip to main content

Dangerous wild animal licences

To keep a dangerous wild animal, you need a licence. The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 tells you which animals are classified as 'dangerous wild animals'.

You must be over the age of 18 to apply for this licence.

You may not apply for a Dangerous Wild Animal licence if you have ever been disqualified from any of the following:

  • keeping a pet shop
  • keeping any dangerous wild animal
  • keeping a riding establishment
  • keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • keeping a dog
  • having the custody of animals

Officers authorised by the council will inspect the premises for compliance with the conditions before granting a licence and also without notice when a licence is in force.

How to apply


Fees for dangerous wild animal licences

Type of licence


Dangerous wild animal - new


Dangerous wild animal - renewal


Application process

Once we receive your application we will arrange for an inspection of the premises by an authorised officer of the council.

Before granting a licence we must be satisfied that there are satisfactory arrangements in place for the safety and the welfare of the animals and that there will be no risk or nuisance to anyone else.

How long will it take to process my application?

We aim to process your application within 28 days of receiving it. Please contact us if you have not heard from us by the end of this period.


Please contact us first. Anyone who is refused a licence or wants to object to a condition on the licence can appeal to their local magistrates' court within 21 days of receiving notice of the decision.

Contact information

Licensing Team

Make an enquiry