Skip to main content

Petroleum licences

To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine - or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use - you need a licence from your local petroleum licensing authority.

Bracknell Forest Council as the Petroleum Licensing Authority (PLA) only has responsibility for retail above and underground petroleum storage and private workplace dispensers. The Health and Safety Executive is responsible for non-retail above ground petroleum storage.

The PLA is responsible for the following storage quantities:

Table showing quantities and fees for petroleum licences from the PLA



Less than 2,500 litres


2,500 - 50,000 litres


More than 50,000 litres


Petroleum (transfer of licences)


Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations require premises that have more than 5 employees to carry out a risk assessment and this must be recorded. If there is less than 5 employees a risk assessment must still be carried out but does not need to be recorded.

Contact information

Trading standards

Make an enquiry