Skip to main content

We are currently building a new website. Find out more about our website upgrade.

People who will help you


Your carer will:

  • look after you on a day to day basis
  • help you to feel safe
  • help you settle in and make sure you have important personal things you need
  • check that you’ve got the clothes and toiletries that you need
  • get to know you, listen to you and take an interest in you
  • support you to do the things you used to do and encourage you to try new things
  • help you to stay in touch with family and friends

Education Support Officer

Through the Virtual School, you will all have an Education Support Officer who will:

  • co-ordinate, chair and process your Personal Education Planning meetings and documentation
  • arrange access to more resources that you might need
  • help you to formulate a future career pathway by offering you help, advice and guidance
  • have high aspirations for you and support you to achieve your full potential
  • advise on and secure the best possible education provision available

Independent Advocate

Your Independent Advocate will:

  • listen and help you have your say and make your views clear to adults so that they take your wishes and feelings into account
  • help you get your views heard when decisions are being made about your life
  • help you make a complaint if you are unhappy with the way you’re being cared for
  • be on your side and work for you
  • be independent people – they are not employed by Children’s Social Care

You can ask for an Independent Advocate if you need help to have your say. You will get asked whether you need one regularly. If you need one you can ask your you social worker, carer, IRO or Participation Officer. 

Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO)

Your IRO will:

  • chair your Child Looked After review meetings – this means leading the meeting
  • make sure that you’re able to share your views, wishes and feelings and that they are heard at your meeting
  • challenge any decisions if they feel they are not best for you
  • make sure you are getting the right support
  • help you to understand the situation you are in and your care plan
  • be in touch with you before your meetings so you can tell them what you’d like sorting out

Independent Visitor

If you have little or no contact with your family, or if it's in your best interest, you will be offered an Independent Visitor.

Your Independent Visitor will:

  • be a volunteer who you can get to know and have fun with – this person will be outside of Children’s Social Care
  • get to know you over a long time, usually for a year or longer if you both want to
  • visit you about once a month
  • ask you what you would like to do such as sports, arts or other social activities – or you might just want to chat

If you think this sounds right for you, talk to your Social Worker or Independent Reviewing Officer.

Personal Adviser

Personal Advisers are part of the Leaving Care service. 

Your Personal Adviser will:

  • be introduced to you when you’re around 17 years old
  • help you to prepare for living on your own
  • offer advice and support once you have left care when you are 18
  • talk to you about what support you might need and record it in a Pathway Plan

You can find out more on our care leavers pages.

Social worker

Your social worker will:

  • visit you regularly, listen to you and get to know you
  • help you understand why you are being “looked after” and what the plans are for you
  • help you with any problems
  • encourage you to have your say and be involved in decisions about your life
  • support you to go to meetings and appointments
  • make sure your parents and anyone important people in your life are kept up to date with what’s happening
  • support you to see your parents and any other important people in your life, if it’s safe
  • talk to you on your own
  • tell you how you can get in touch with them if you need to