Parks and countryside service updates
Many of our car parks to green spaces are now open. However, please note that:
- Horseshoe Lake car park is closed every night, between the hours of 7pm until 7am
- Westmorland Park car park closes daily at 4pm until the following morning
These temporary closures are to prevent groups gathering in the car park when it gets dark, which leads to increased amounts of antisocial activity and is also against social distancing guidelines.
To support our car parks remaining open we ask that you take some simple steps, which include:
- only leave cars parked in a marked bay, where these are clearly marked
- please don’t queue in your car or circulate waiting for a space if the car park is full - if there is no space please try again later
- social distancing must be applied during the walk and when getting into and out of your car - this includes keeping 2 metres away from others and keeping dogs on leads
Our outdoor playgrounds are open on a trial basis. We remind people to stay alert to the dangers of coronavirus, and that people using our playgrounds do so at their own risk.
If you’re planning on visiting one of our playgrounds, then you must be properly prepared and follow our instructions (below), so you can minimise the risk of your family catching the virus.
The Look Out playground is open for pre-booked visits only. Visit The Look Out playground and coffee shop page for details.
Please follow these instructions when visiting our playgrounds to reduce the risk of spreading coronavirus:
- if you or any member of your household has coronavirus symptoms or are self-isolating, then you must not visit our playgrounds
- if the playground is busy (the maximum number of people allowed in at any one time), please do not enter but come back later
- only one parent or guardian should enter the playground to supervise their child or children
- only children from the same household or bubble should use a piece of play equipment at the same time
- you and your children should stay at least 2 metres apart from others unless they are from the same household or bubble - or 1 metre if you are wearing face coverings
- sanitise your children’s hands before and after they use the equipment - scientific advice suggests that the virus can survive for up to several days on some hard surfaces
- encourage children to avoid putting their mouths on equipment, their hands in their mouths, or to touch their face
- do not eat or drink while in the playground
- leave the playground clean and tidy for others, take your litter home with you or put it any bins provided
Please be considerate of other park users and put litter or bagged dog waste in the bins provided. If bins are full or unavailable, please take your waste home with you.
Dog walkers should always keep their dogs on a lead. This is to avoid them chasing each other which could result in owners breaking social distancing guidelines to separate them.
Cycling in Swinley Forest
Cyclists in Swinley Forest are encouraged to ride within their limits.
Please be considerate of pedestrians, as any accidents will cause extra strain on our local NHS resources at this difficult time.
Public rights of way
Only use your local public rights of way network for lawful access. Please be considerate of other users by following social distancing guidelines.
Membership to Westmorland Park Lawn Tennis club and The Parks Tennis is open.
For more details, please see our tennis page.
Wash your hands
Please take hygiene precautions when you are outside by using hand sanitiser, and wash your hands as soon as you are back indoors.