Skip to main content
Warning triangle

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Visit our coronavirus pages for the latest updates.

Test and Trace Support Payments

The government have a package to support and enforce self-isolation. You can read guidance about claiming financial support under the Test and Trace Support Payment scheme on GOV.UK

Who the payments are for

You are entitled to a Test and Trace Support Payment of £500 if you meet all of these criteria:

  • you’ve been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or the NHS COVID-19 app, either because you’ve tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive
  • you’ve responded to messages received from NHS Test and Trace (by email, text, letter or phone call) in which you provided your contact details and where you’ve tested positive, and the details of your contacts
  • you are employed or self-employed
  • you cannot work from home and will lose income as a result
  • you are currently receiving one or more of these benefits:
    • Housing Benefit
    • Universal Credit
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
    • Pension Credit

You cannot get the payment if you’re self-isolating because you came to the UK from abroad.

Payment details

The payment is:

  • £500
  • subject to income tax
  • not subject to National Insurance contributions

If you are overdrawn

If your bank account is overdrawn you have a right to ask that the £500 is used to pay your bills rather than your overdraft. This is called exercising your first right of appropriation.

If you want to do this you must tell your bank 7 days before the bill is due and you must give them specific details of what should be paid. You can get more information and download a template letter from the National Debtline website.


Please note that there is no right of appeal. If you are not awarded payment it is because you do not meet the criteria.


We have the right to recover costs from people who claim the payment fraudulently.

You may face prosecution if you provide any false details in your application.

More information

For more information, read our:

Contact information

Welfare and Housing Service

Make an enquiry