Skip to main content

Data Protection Act

The council is obliged to collect and handle information about individuals in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. The act also provides individuals with the right to request copies of their personal information.

Find out more about the Data Protection Act on the Information Commissioner’s website.

If you suspect an information breach has occurred, please email

You have the right to ask if we hold personal information about you, what it is used for and to be provided with a copy. You also have the right to know whether we disclose your personal information to other persons or organisations and to ask for incorrect data to be corrected.

There are some exceptions. For example, you will not be allowed to see personal information that contains details about someone else unless that person has given permission.

How can I apply to get access to my personal information?

You can apply for your own personal data by:

There is a £10 charge for this service.

The council will respond within 40 calendar days of receiving your completed application and fee.

How is my information used?

The council keeps personal information about you so that we can provide you with the services you require. 

Information you provide may also be shared with other agencies involved in the provision of services to you and between departments of the authority, where you have agreed to this and where we are legally required to do so. The information will only be the minimum necessary to enable us to provide services to you.

Your personal information may also be disclosed to government departments, where we are legally obliged to do so, or to other local authorities when you have moved from one area to another and the new authority requires confirmation of the services you are receiving.

Information may also be provided to government departments or others for statistical research, but this will not include your name and address, unless you have given us permission to provide that information.

How your information is kept

The information is held confidentially on secure computer systems or in secure manual filing systems.

Maintaining your records and keeping them secure is our responsibility. In the case of school records, the individual schools are responsible for these.

We have a duty of care when providing services to you, which includes respecting your right to confidentiality and ensuring that information is only used and given to others for the purpose of the service being provided.

Contact Information

Lawyer, Information Management and Security